A client of ours asked us to incorporate Dropbox app into their workflow. Use case: automatically create a dropbox folder and share it to the specified email every time someone submits a Wufoo form on their website.
If you ever want to do something similar, you’ll be asked to generate your Dropbox API access token. Here’s how to do it.
STEP 1. Create an app in your Dropbox account
- Go to https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps/create
- Authorize, if you weren’t.
- Choose Dropbox API on the first step.
- Choose Full Dropbox access on the second.
- Give your app a name. That name will become a folder in your Dropbox account.
- Push ‘Create app’ button.
STEP2. Generate access token
You’ll be presented with your app’s settings.
- Scroll down to ‘OAuth 2’ block and hit ‘Generate’ button near ‘Generated access token’ text.
- After the token is generated you’ll see a string of letters and numbers, which looks something like this:
This is your Dropbox API access token . You should now hand over this token to your developer.
You can get acquainted with the possibilities of Dropbox API using their API explorer.
BTW, If you’d like us to create an automation workflow involving Dropbox for you, please drop us a line.